home > about park hall

About Park Hall

Park Hall Country House & Cottages is located in the picturesque village of St. Osyth named after the daughter of the first Christian King of East Anglia.

Located in the heart of Constable country on the Essex/Suffolk coast line this wonderful English countryside here at Park Hall is officially the 'driest place in England'.

Long associated with royalty the 14th century Park Hall was formerly the home of Abbot John of London when it was an important monastery. King Henry III in 1268 granted monks a license to hunt hare and fox in the grounds where Park Hall is now situated and two stone urns proudly stand on four foot high pedestals at the entrance, commissioned by Henry VIII during one of his visits to St. Osyth.

Today Park Hall creates the perfect place to say 'I love you.'

The former monastery, now known as Park Hall Country House, has been dated to 1360 although it is believed an earlier structure may have once existed.

Rare medieval paintings, dating back to the 14th Century, were discovered in The Monk's Room and were dated by the National Gallery in London, where they underwent extensive scientific testing. One of the artworks, painted on a wooden frame, shows the Virgin Mary seated on an elaborate throne surrounded by Latin Prayers. The artist is unknown, but it is believed he worked for King Richard II at the Royal Court.

The panel of The Virgin Mary, which is currently on display at the Colchester Museum, is among the earliest surviving English paintings of the Middle Ages and is considered a precious document illuminating the techniques of the medieval artist.

Two further medieval paintings remain in The Monk's Room preserved behind false walls, along with a medieval window. It is believed Abbot John of London commissioned the full size paintings when he celebrated his promotion to Abbot by asking the Royal Court artists to decorate his private chapel and quarters, now The Monk's Room and The Abbot's Room, at Park Hall Country House. Records show that in 1387 King Richard II had the Abbot thrown into prison because he had hunted and slain deer in the Royal Park without the King's permission. Today a 17th century oil on oak panel of a monk with his hands clasped in prayer can be seen in The Monk's Room and a medieval oak carving of vines and a barrel can be seen in The Abbot's Room.

At the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539 Thomas Cromwell acquired the Priory estate but following his execution King Henry VIII installed Sir Thomas Darcy, later Lord Darcy, as resident. However the estate was actually granted to Princess Mary Tudor who previously had been granted the Royal Parks.

When King Henry VIII visited St. Osyth he commissioned William Tyler to construct two stone urns. They stand proudly today on four foot high stone pedestals either side of the entrance to Park Hall Country House.

Today Park Hall presents a wonderful setting for your special stay